Interested in helping create a healthier community? Join the Chamber Worksite Wellness
Committee by emailing Kativa at the Chamber!
Thanks to Chamber members who contributed to Voluntary Workforce Attraction dues, the Worksite Wellness committee was able to offer new programs, plan another highly successful summer event, and begin planning some exciting new offerings for 2020.
Workplace Wellness Award
Has your workplace gone above and beyond in implementing health and well-being initiatives? Help honor their achievements at the Chamber’s Annual Meeting in early October by nominating them for the Workplace Wellness Award!
POET Biorefining definitely leads the way when it comes to providing for the health and well-being of employees. The Workplace Wellness Award reflects a partnership between the Chamber and CG Public Health and the application process is extensive. The POET application checks all the boxes!
From opportunities for physical activity and nutrition, to mental health and safety, to social and financial well-being, the policies and programs at the Hanlontown plant ensure that each aspect of a wellness lifestyle are supported.
POET maintains a tobacco-free facility and grounds and tends both a garden and sweet corn patch for staff to enjoy fresh produce (excess is donated to local food banks). Healthy vending options are subsidized by the company. Employees support a host of initiatives through volunteering; in fact, POET won the 2019 Give Back Iowa Challenge and the 2019 Healthiest State Initiative Healthy Workplace award. Fitness Challenges are offered twice annually, with increasing participation.
Congratulations to the entire POET team for going above and beyond to support employee well-being!
Videos of Past Recipients:
Jump Back July Action for Happiness Calendar
Now, more than ever before, many of us could be feeling increased anxiety, stress or loneliness due to the COVID-19 outbreak, social distancing requirements and uncertain nature of the situation. It is OK to not be OK.
Mental Health Awareness Month during May is a great time to reduce stigma by starting conversations and increasing understanding about mental illness with the Make It OK campaign and resources.
Working From Home Wellness - Healthiest State Initiative Resources
- 10 Tips for 'Work From Home' Employees (Greater Des Moines Partnership)
- VIDEO: How to Reduce Stress While Working From Home (Joyages)
- 9 Tips to be Productive When Working at Home (Forbes)
- How to Cope with Working from Home While Taking Care of Kids (CNBC)
- How to Create a Healthy Work from Home Environment (Wellmark)
Healthier Workforce Center of the Midwest Podcast:
- Podcast: Mental Health During COVID-19
Information and resources from Mental Health First Aid:
- How to Care for Yourself While Practicing Physical Distancing
- How Do I Know Someone is Experiencing Anxiety or Depression?
- How to Help Someone with Anxiety or Depression During COVID-19
- How to Support a Loved One Going Through a Tough Time During COVID-19
For more information on COVID-19, please visit these resources:
- The National Council for Behavioral Health: Resources for COVID-19
- World Health Organization: Rolling updates on coronavirus disease
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Coronavirus Disease 2019 Situation Summary
If you or someone you care about feels overwhelmed with emotions like sadness, depression or anxiety, or like you want to harm yourself or others call 911.
You can also contact the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s (SAMHSA) Disaster Distress Helpline at 800-985-5990, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 800-273-8255 or text MHFA to 741741 to talk to a Crisis Text Line counselor.
Follow the Chamber's Pinterest page for Wellness Tips & Ideas.
More Wellness in North Iowa --
The Healthiest State Initiative, in partnership with the Iowa Department of Public Health, has launched a new opportunity for Iowa workplaces to support healthy choices for their employees. Employers of all sizes and representing all sectors are invited to sign up as a 5-2-1-0 Healthy Choices Count! Registered Workplace.
2017 Healthiest State Initiative Community Award Winner.
2018 Healthiest State Initiative Community Award Winner.
Like Healthy- Mason City on facebook for the most up-to-date wellness initiatives in our community.
Mason City Bike Trails:
Mason City Walking Route Maps:
- Elmwood St. Joseph Cemetery Nature Walk
- Elmwood St. Joseph Cemetery Spiritual Walk
- Elmwood St. Joseph Cemetery Historical Walk
- Sculpture Walk
- Borealis Walking Route
- Central Park Walking Route
- Footbridge Walking Route
- Landscape Walking Route
- Prairie House Walking Route
- Stockman House Walking Route
- Central Park to Footbridge Walking Route
- Central Park to Rock Glen Walking Route
- Central Park Long Loop Walking Route
- The Loop Walking Route
- Norris Park Walking Route
- Soutbridge and Downtown Walking Route
Designated 5-2-1-0 Work-Site
The Mason City Chamber of Commerce is proud to be a Designated 5-2-1-0!
The work site pledge provides resources, expertise, and collateral to help complete the pledge items along with detailed information on the research behind each pledge action item. We encourage your work site to join the movement and become a designated work site.
Throughout the designation, the Chamber has implemented several wellness-related items. Offering personality assessments to employees, creating walking routes throughout the Commerce Center, micro walking breaks, and a step tracking program.